Student Visa & Post Study Work Visa

Student Visa

International students who want to study in the UK are required to get a Student Visa. The Student and Child Student routes are the primary immigration routes for international students who wish to study full-time. These students must be sponsored by an education provider that holds a Student sponsor licence. This guide aims to provide basic information about how UK immigration laws affect international students.

How do I qualify to enter the UK as a Student?

To be classified as a student for immigration purposes you must be able to show all of the following:

  • You are over 16 and you have been offered a place on a full-time course by a licensed student sponsor.
  • If you are aged 4 to 17 and you want to study at an independent school in the UK, you may be eligible for a Child Student visa instead.
  • You are going to follow a recognised full-time degree course, a course run during the week that involves at least 15 hours of organised daytime study per week, or a full-time course of study at an independent fee-paying school.
  • You are able to pay for your course and support and accommodate yourself and any dependents without working or help from public funds
  • You plan to leave the UK when you complete your studies. International students need a visa to enter the UK.

You can also apply for a student visa If you are taking up a full-time elected position as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer; or applying to extend your stay on the Doctorate Extension Scheme – you must hold a valid Student visa and your course must lead to a PhD.

You should apply for entry clearance at the British High Commission or at any UK Visa Application Centres in your city or in the country where you are living. You must have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed student sponsor. Your education provider will send you a reference number called a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) once they have offered you a place on the course. You need a CAS before you can apply for your visa. You may be able to switch to a Student visa if you already have permission to be in the UK.

International students may take on part-time or vacation work subject to the following restrictions. You will not work for more than 20 hours a week during term time, unless your work placement is part of your studies and your education institution agrees. You will not do business, be self-employed or provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer. You will not work full time in a permanent job. If you are a graduating student and you wish to stay in the UK to work after your graduation, you can extend your stay under Post-Study Work scheme or you may be able to find a job without the need for you to return home. Licensed UK Businesses and employers may be able to offer you a job under Skilled Worker route.

You may bring your partner and dependant children to the United Kingdom during your studies as long as you can support and accommodate them without help from public funds.
The status of each higher education institution will be shown in the register of licenced sponsors, which is publicly available on the GOV.UK website.
For more information and assistance please contact us.

Post Study Work Visa (PSW)

Post Study Work Visa is for international students in the UK. The new ‘Graduate’ route will be open to all international students, including those from India who have valid UK immigration status as a student and have successfully completed a course of study in any subject at undergraduate level or above at an approved UK Higher Education Provider. The visa will allow eligible students to work, or look for work, in any career or position of their choice, for two years after completing their studies. After the two years on post study work visa, they will be able to switch onto the Skilled Worker visa, if they find a job which meets the skill requirement of the route. Licensed UK Businesses and employers may be able to offer you a job under the Skilled Worker route.

The visa will offer opportunities to work or look for work after graduating. Unlike the route which was closed in 2012, this new route will also include safeguards to ensure only genuine, credible students are eligible. There are lots of options available to international students who want to stay and work in the UK after their studies.

For more information and assistance please contact us.