Family visas

We can assist you to understand the requirements if you wish to bring your family members to the UK or switch family members visas if they are already in the UK.

If you want to join a family member in the United Kingdom holding UK Citizenship or Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residence), you can apply for a UK Family Visa to join that person as a:

  • partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner).
  • child if you are under 18 or child of any age if you are a dependant.
  • parent who wants to come to look after your dependant child.
  • elderly parents or grandparents needing long-term care.

Those on long-stay UK visas for purposes such as work or study can apply to bring the following family members with them:

  • spouse or partner
  • any children under 18
  • children of any age if they are a dependant
  • You will need to meet certain UK Family Visa requirements in each case, detailed below.
  • Spouse or partner Visa

If you are applying as a spouse or partner, you must show you are in a genuine relationship with the person and details of how you met and how often you see each other, you do not have a poor immigration history or criminal record and you can satisfy the financial requirements. There are also English language requirements. The applicant may either be in the UK lawfully on a visa valid for more than 6 months or apply for a visa from the country of their origin/residence.

You must be able to prove one of the following:

  • you are in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK
  • you have been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply
  • you are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving.

You also need to prove English language capability and evidence of suitable accommodation in the UK.

If wish to join your spouse or partner you will also need to meet the financial requirement of £18,600 per year, rising to £22,400 if you are coming with a child and by a further £2,400 for each additional child.

The length of your UK Family Visa will be:

  • initial 33 months if you are joining a partner in the UK
  • 6 months if you applied as an engaged partner
  • as long as your parent’s stay if you applied to join as a dependent child
  • no time limit if you applied to join British or settled parents
  • initial 33 months if you applied as a parent
  • no time limit if you applied as an adult dependent relative

How long it takes?

If you apply outside the UK a decision will usually be made within 12 weeks.

If you apply in the UK a decision will usually be made within 8 weeks if you use the standard service. If you use the super priority service a decision will usually be made by the end of the next working day after providing your biometric information.

When you can settle permanently?

The earliest you can apply for ‘indefinite leave to remain’ in the country (permanent residency) is after you have lived in the country for 5 years continuously with a spouse/partner visa. You cannot take into account any permission to stay in the UK as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner for the qualifying 5-year period.

For more information and assistance please contact us.