> Home
  > e-Mail
  > Contact Us
  Tier 2 (General) and Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfers) of the Points Based System (PBS)  

  • Introduction
  • Eligibility Criteria
  • Maintenance (Funds) Requirement
  • Competence in English
  • How do I apply for entry clearance?
  • Appeal Rights
  • What are 'Public Funds'?
  • Contact Us for information on further Tiers

    Tier 2 of the new Points Based UK immigration System replaces UK work permits and is suitable for skilled workers wishing to immigrate to the UK. Any non-EEA national seeking entry or permission to remain in the United Kingdom for the purpose of employment or studies will require a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). The spouses and children under 18 of CoS holders will be allowed to come or to stay in the UK with them, for the same length of time, provided they can be supported and accommodated without recourse to public funds. "Tier 2 (General) & Tier (ICT)" lead to UK Permanent Resident status in 5 years.

    Certificate of Sponsorship applications can be made only by an employer who has obtained a Sponsor Licence in the United Kingdom. The Sponsor in the UK has direct responsibility towards the employee and should comply with Immigration Rules.

    Eligibility Criteria

    To become eligible for obtaining Entry Clearance visa, the candidate should have an offer from a UK sponsoring company and should score a minimum of 70 points (including 10 for maintenance and 10 for English). The table below outlines the structure of the assessment criteria.

    Certificate of Sponsorship
    Pts. Qualifications Or NARIC Equivalents
    Pts. Prospective Earnings (£) Pts.
    (50 points needed)
    Offer of job in shortage

    Offer of job that
    passes Resident
    Labour Market Test

    Intra Company




    No qualifications

    NVQ 3

    Bachelors or Masters






    17,000 - 19,999

    20,000 - 21,999

    22,000 - 23,999






    B Maintenance Requirement 10        
    C Competence in English 10        

    CoS is a virtual document, consist of an unique reference no., with which the employee applies for Leave to Enter/Remain.

    Maintenance (Funds) Requirement


    Applicants should demonstrate that they are able to support themselves and their dependants when they arrive in the UK as they do not have access to public funds. The applicant has to show evidence of availability of funds of £800.

    In addition to the £800, applicants will need to show they have a further 2/3 of the funds of the main applicant (£533) for each dependant they intend to bring with them.

    These amounts must be held in your bank account for a minimum period of 3 months immediately preceding the date of your application.

    Competence in English


    Applicants have to demonstrate English language competence to assist with their integration into British life. They should have one of the following:

  • IELTS - An overall Test Score of 6.5, or
  • Have taken a degree taught in English, or
  • Come from a majority English speaking Country

    Intra Company Transferees will only be required to demonstrate the required English language ability if they wish to stay beyond three years.

    How do I apply for entry clearance?


    You should apply for entry clearance at the British High Commission through any Visa Application Centre (VAC) in your city or in the country in which you are living. You should ask for Employment Form VAF2 (the form can be downloaded from http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk).

    The completed application should be submitted at the VAC Office along with the following documents:

  • Passport
  • 2 recent passport-sized photographs
  • Application Fee
  • Academic certificates
  • Bank Statements
  • Evidence of English language

    Appeal Rights

    Appeal rights will be abolished, except where the appeal is brought on Human Rights or Race Discrimination grounds. However, the applicant can seek one Administrative Review if an error has been made in deciding your application.

    What are 'Public Funds'?


    To live in the UK, you must be able to demonstrate that you can support and accommodate yourself and your dependants for the duration without claiming certain state benefits.

    Following are the list of state benefits:

  • Income Support and Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Housing and homelessness assistance
  • Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit
  • Working Families' Tax Credit
  • Social fund payments
  • Child Benefit
  • Any disability allowance

    Contact Us for information on further Tiers


    Please contact us for details and information regarding the following Tiers:

  • Tier 2 Visas: Post-Study Work
  • Tier 3 Visas: Unskilled Temporary
  • Tier 4 Visas: Students
  • Tier 5 Visas: Youth and Mobility