> Home
  > e-Mail
  > Contact Us
  Working Holidaymaker Scheme  

  • Introduction
  • Qualifications
  • How long can I stay?
  • What type of work can I do?
  • Can I extend my stay as a Work Permit holder?
  • Checklist

    The working holidaymaker visa allows a person aged between 17 and 30 to come to the United Kingdom for up to two years. You are allowed to work only up to 12 months of your holiday, but the holiday should be the main reason for your stay, not the work. This Scheme will be replaced with Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme under the points-based system.


    To qualify for this scheme:

  • You should be aged between 17 and 30 and should be a Commonwealth citizen
  • You can be single or married to a person who also qualifies for this scheme and plans to take a working holiday at the same time
  • You do not have any dependant children who will be five before you complete your holiday in UK

  • You show evidence that you can support and maintain yourself and your dependants, if any, without recourse to public funds in the UK

  • You have not spent time in the UK on a previous working holidaymaker visa
  • You plan to leave UK at the end of your visa

    You must get entry clearance as a working holidaymaker in your country of origin before you travel to the United Kingdom. You have to submit your application at a Visa Application Centre (VAC) in your area.

    How long can I stay?


    You can only stay in the United Kingdom for two years as a working holidaymaker. Any time outside the United Kingdom during that period you hold this visa as part of the two years.

    What type of work can I do?


    There are no restrictions on the type of paid work you can do. You may do any paid work you choose either full time or part time, for only up to 12 months. You can also engage in unpaid voluntary work as long as you are in a position to support yourself without recourse to public funds. You can not set yourself up in or run a business, or work as a professional sportsperson during your stay.

    Can I extend my stay as a Work Permit holder?


    You cannot extend your stay as a working holidaymaker. But you may be eligible to switch into work permit employment after 12 months in the UK if your occupation is on the list of 'shortage occupations'.


  • VAF2 - Employment Application Form completed
  • Passport
  • 2 recent passport-sized photographs
  • Fee (paid in local currency and non-refundable)
  • Documentary evidence to show that you can support yourself (and dependants. If any) without recourse to public funds. You should show you have enough funds to meet your travel cost and for your accommodation and living expenses for the first two months after you arrive. Example: Your Bank balance/A job offer letter from UK/Sponsorship.